A multimeter is an electronic device that is essential for everyone associated with electronics. Not only for professionals, is it a device that is used in educational institutions by students to show them practical demo. Not only this, it is also a very handy device in many household works. But the, how can one choose a good multimeter? We will see a multimeter buying guide here.
Factors to be considered while buying a multimeter
- The first factor that needs to be looked upon while buying a multimeter is its price. The typical cost of a multimeter is less than 50 dollars. In that multimeter you will get voltmeter, ohmmeter and an ammeter. But as the features go up, the prices can go up too. The cheap multimeters are not usually calibrated. To have some features, you will have to pay more.
- Now that you have paid the price, the next thing that you need to look on to are the features that you get in the multimeter. You need to have an accurate reading but that is not quite possible with the analog multimeter. For that, you will need a digital multimeter which can show you the readings up to an accuracy of 4 decimal points. The features should also include a range selector which will help you to adjust the settings as per the work required.
- You need to check whether the multimeter is a true RMS one. That will help you to study distortions, both sinusoidal and non sinusoidal waves and troubleshooting.
- The other factors that you need to as a multimeter buying guide is probably the brand that you need to look upon and the manufacturing warranty that the brand provides.
- The next thing to look on is the ease of use of the device. The device should be well designed and should have all the labels mentioned on it that anyone needs to operate. The multimeter should have an auto off feature that can save you from wastage of electricity.
- The next thing that matters in the multimeter buying guide is safety. There is a safety limit that needs to be taken care of while using the device. There is a maximum limit up to which the multimeter can safely measure and that needs to be taken care of.
The final verdict on this investment
The multimeter buying guide states all the possible factors that need to be looked upon while buying one. There are three categories of multimeters and you need to buy the one that suits you the best for the purpose you wish to use it for. The category 1 denotes those devices that can be used for small projects. The load up to which it can be used is comparatively lower. The category 2 is suitable for all the household works. Its load bearing capacity is a bit higher than category 1. The category 3 has the maximum load bearing capacity and is normally used for heavy duty projects on the commercial and industrial purposes. Therefore, these are the factors that need to be taken care of before purchasing a multimeter.